Take an intimate moment for yourself
Two in five women experience vaginal discomfort and bad sex (painfully bad). Sex should never be painful. When it is, it indicates that something is wrong.
There are many physical and emotional factors that can cause painful intercourse:
• You may feel pain at the opening of your vagina or in the vulva, which is the area around the vaginal opening. Even a gentle touch in this area may cause pain. The pain can be caused by infection irritation from soaps, spermicides, or other chemicals causing vulvar dystrophy, which is a thinning or thickening of the skin of the vulva.
• Pain during sex can be caused by vaginal dryness. Possible causes of vaginal dryness are a lack of natural moisture resulting from not enough foreplay, or hormonal changes that occur during breast-feeding, use of hormonal contraceptives, during or after menopause. Psychological factors can also affect your level of sexual arousal.
• Sometimes the muscles at the opening of the vagina tighten because of spasms or Lichen Sclerosus. Muscle tightening can make the vaginal opening narrow. It may even contract the opening fully. This condition is called Vaginismus. Psychological factors such as a fear of penetration or fear of pain may cause vaginal muscles tightening and spasms.
• Pain deep inside your vagina during sexual intercourse. This can be caused by problems such as movements that are too forceful, Endometriosis, scarring of tissues from a pelvic infection, dryness, injury to the vagina from childbirth, rape, or sexual abuse.
• Post pelvic radiation and surgeries can cause vaginal adhesions and reduced vaginal girth that require ongoing preventive intimate training.
• Relaxation and enhanced sensation can reduce pain and enhance sexual pleasure.
• Off balance feminine Ph. A high vaginal pH level — above 4.5 — provides the perfect environment for unhealthy bacteria to grow including Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) or Trichomoniasis (trich) that may increase risk for more serious infections like human papillomavirus (HPV), herpes simplex virus, and HIV; or An acidic vagina usually doesn’t cause disease. But if the acidity rises too much, it might reduce fertility.
Consult with your doctor or sexologist if you suffer from any of these causes of vaginal pain.
Aquafit offers a range of Intimate Gel Sticks designed to promote vaginal wellness and enhance sensual pleasure for women.